Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Hailey and the Greek Schnitzel

So yesterday I spent the day chatting up my online friends and madly sending out my resume to a grocery list of places (though, no grocery stores... I am more than tired of those). It's easy to do - if you like a particular boutique or store, you look up their web pages and seek out the button at the bottom that reads 'Careers' and voila! Fill out their forms and hope for the best! And that is essentially what I have been doing.. hoping for the best. With my luck I will have a dozen places randomly calling me up on my cell phone offering me a job in a few months.. and if that's the case.. SHOW ME THE MONEY BABY!!

Yesterday is also the day I met Hailey, one of my Love's old flames and current friends (he seems to have a lot of those!) We went out to dinner the three of us once he was finished work for the day. She seemed nice enough, though I found I knew why their relationship ended.. it was my woman's intuition popping up again (it does that a lot).

We went to a supposedly Greek restaurant and I immediately longed for Montreal when I read the menu... there was about a dozen items listed that were actually Greek meals... and the rest were far from it. There was schnitzel on the list! And lots of Italian dishes!

I opted for what I considered a safe bet - chicken souvlaki on rice, and that was fine, although Hailey ordered the same thing and ended up with a mouthful of splinters from the skewer. They also looked as if they were frozen skewers that were all pre-made before the restaurant got to it. Fantastic. My love ordered the stuffed vine leaves and he said those were good, though I didn't try them, since they didn't look like they could hold a candle up to my grandmother's recipe.

I tried to stay in the conversations they were both having, but it wasn't easy.. he was sweet enough to be constantly explaining things to me, and I ended up being mostly silent, adding an amusing anecdote here and there to show that I was at least following along. And no.. after the fiasco of the dinner menu, I did not wish to try their baklava.. then I'd really miss Montreal.

Food here isn't all that bad, if you look well enough, and are lucky, though the Mediterranean restaurants so far haven't really floored me..

I finished the book, 'The Sculptress' and it was decent. The entire book had you trying to piece together who had committed the murders, and when it was finally solved, you were still left wondering if it was all true. Very interesting! I will start on the other books in the apartment I haven't read yet that seem interesting, then go and explore the city's library. The weather is fair here and it's very comfortable to go outside and read in the sun... it's never harsh enough to burn your skin, never humid enough to sweat, and never too cool... though I have taken to wearing sweaters anyways.

Missing my Montreal eating! Waiting impatiently for my bulghur wheat to arrive to start cooking up some comfort dishes!

Melody

1 comment:

  1. Work for canadapost!! they give good salary its different then grocery stores and you might need call me one day at the helpdesk :D

    anyways hope your enjoying BC :P

    Marc-André

    ReplyDelete