Monday, August 24, 2009

New Friends and District 9

Second day that my Love is gone, and it started with a phone call.

I, Melody, am in a province of strangers. Though I do not seek out the candy-giving type, I do realize that I must turn to strangers for friendship.

Through a Montreal-friend of mine, I found a forum filled with like-minded individuals. I introduced myself to them all, explained my situation and they were intrigued, to say the least. Since then, I have been in steady correspondence with them, as I go about getting acclimated to my new environments.

One such forum-user, going by the name of Kaji, called me up yesterday, wondering what I was doing that evening. Nothing, it was planned, as my Love was busy on Vancouver Island, spending the morning with family, in particular his sister and his newest niece, not even a month old. He suggested then, that I make my way to Metrotown and see a movie with him a few more friends. Of course, I said, I would love to... how do I get there?!?

Turns out I had to make use of the Skytrain! It was very easy going, and my fears were soon put to rest. The bus close to home took me straight to the Skytrain terminus, and I simply had to ride it to... Metrotown! I could do that!

The Skytrain is like bizarro-Metro. It works on the honor-system. Pay if you are so inclined to... apparently there are random checks, but I was not put to any when I was there, though, I was honest, and had a ticket, just in case! (I swear officer, I didn't know I had to pay!!) There are no turnstiles, just machines strung about, in case you wanted to pay. As the Metro is several levels below ground, the Skytrain is several levels above it. It was nice to peer out the windows and get a clearer view of this strange land, and not have to watch the cement as I was used to in Montreal. It was also a nice, quiet ride, not like the Metros, who were noisy, and made it hard to even think straight. I am sure if I had someone to speak with, I wouldn't have to raise my voice to be heard... and so soft a ride it was, with once more, a sweet female voice telling me which stop we were arriving at.

I quickly met my friends at the station, and recognized them from photos posted in the forum. They were thrilled to meet me, and we quickly fell into the comforts of friendship, chatting about each others hometowns and activities.

Metrotown, or what I have seen of it, is full of commerce. The Skytrain took me to the mall, which, according to my newest friends, is the largest in B.C., if not, it was close second. Just like Fairview, it was brimming with high-end boutiques, but also had a wickedly concentrated little arcade, where my new friends and I hung out drinking bubble teas (mine was strawberry) while we waited for time to go by.

We actually waited too long, and when we went into the theater, it was packed. If it wasn't for the cunning of Lunar, one of my new friends, scoping out seats for him and I, I would have been craning my neck and straining through the subtitles. Instead we sat way back, in the corner, but, we sat together, and enjoyed a very fine movie, and shared some gummy bears and wine gums. The others were scattered about, out of sheer necessity.

District 9 was a fabulous movie, all I will say is that it well worth the price of admission, but it is not an alien movie. If you are looking for aliens trying to take over the planet, think again. This is a human movie, full of human issues.

I returned home, all by myself, getting quickly used to the public transportation. I never had to wait for my rides, they always arrived the moment I stepped foot at the stop. My eyes were open, and I knew exactly where I was. All the while, my Love was stuck waiting for a ferry back, sitting around from 3pm... until he finally got home, which was close to midnight.

He was glad one of us had a good day. *grins*

No comments:

Post a Comment