Saturday, August 22, 2009

On my Own Again!

Alrighty! While my love is off enjoying his cousin's wedding, I am in the apartment... using my time effectively? Okay, mostly effectively.

Buses, here in Surrey, are different than the ones back in Montreal. The outsides of them look very similar, but their interiors are another story.

The fare to get on one of these bad boys is cheaper than in Montreal, though I doubt these guys go as far as the others do. Also, they don't have the very awesome OPUS cards, which means I need to either have the exact change on me, or be lucky enough to by tickets at the vendors around town.

My love and I went cruising around on them the other day, just to get me comfortable with them. They have these awesome signaling signs, which update at every stop/intersection we get to, with a lovely lady voice announcing our current location. That is really clever, because it leaves me knowing where we are without either having to bug the driver or crane my neck and squint my eyes to spot street signs (that will be really handy in the dark and the wintertime!)

I have yet to get on the Skytrain, or even those buses that run on those fancy wires and I am very curious about them.. though, one step at a time. First I want to get used to the simple stuff, not get too far away from home base, and then eventually expand my horizons. Dipping my proverbial toe into the water before jumping in and possibly freezing in the water (or getting eaten alive by leeches)

I got kinda excited today, shopping around for jobs. I walked all the way over to Central City Mall, keeping my eyes open on my surroundings. I gave out a few applications at some of the boutiques and store within, and will of course keep you updated as to whether I land a job or not!

The mall is quite different from Fairview Mall in Montreal, though has a lot of the same flavours. It is an odd blend of higher end boutiques in a sea of lower end ones, whereas Fairview is now saturated with high end clothing boutiques as the lower ends get left in the dust.

It all makes sense though, when you look at the population here. You have many very lovely suburban homes, such as the one I am living in with my love (we occupy the basement), though you also have many mobile homes, older-looking condos and cheap-looking motels. I chuckle somewhat at the barbed wire I see lining some fences, and the security cameras.. though they also make me a bit uneasy. Do we really need that level of security in this neighborhood?

Got home weary of all the walking, though the weather was quite fair, 20c with sunshine! Made myself a chili, though it was made throwing the recipe to the winds, and am currently settling into a decent book, "The Sculptress" by Minette Walters, apparently some sort of murder mystery.. it has whet my appetite, I will tell you all whether it is worth a read once I am done with it!

Other than that... I will probably call up my love later on tonight, to simply tell him to have a good night, and promptly fall asleep..

A demain!
Melody

No comments:

Post a Comment